Dauphine Street Necklace Idea
One of the fun stops we'll make at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show includes a necklace-making demonstration by Swarovski Ambassador Kristal Wick. She has generously offered to explain how to create our Dauphine Street Necklace! This gorgeous design is fashioned from DeCoRé epoxy clay
, Swarovski crystal chatons
and other mixed media elements
. Learn how to create this necklace for yourself by reading the free instructions below.
Creating the DeCoRé Embellishments
1. Mix a small amount of equal parts A and B of the DeCoRé crafters clay in White and knead until well blended. Fill the Nunn Design silver-plated pewter mini circle pendants, the JBB 14mm antique silver-plated brass crown ribbon round pendant settings and the JBB silver-plated pewter wavy square picture frame with the clay. Embellish the circle pendants with seven Swarovski 4mm XILION Crystal chatons and the round pendant settings with one medium matte black aluminum rose cabochon. Adorn the picture frame with a small matte black aluminum rose cabochon towards the top of the frame and two Swarovski 10mm Crystal diamond leaf flatbacks cascading down to simulate leaves. You will have 90 minutes to mold the clay before it begins to harden. If the clay becomes stiff, microwave it for 3 to 5 seconds to soften.
2. Repeat this process with the Jet DeCoRé crafters clay, working with a slightly smaller amount of equal parts A and B. Fill the Nunn Design silver-plated pewter mini circle links with clay and then embellish each with seven Swarovski chatons.
3. Set all of the components aside and allow to cure for 24 hours in a horizontal position.
Creating the Necklace
1. Cut two pieces of jewelry wire approximately 9 inches long. Cut the gunmetal-plated small oval link chain into one 8-inch long piece and one 11-inch long piece.
2. Attach one 4mm gunmetal-plated 18 gauge open jump ring to one end of each wire strand using a sterling 2x2mm crimp tube.
3. Thread the following pattern onto each wire:
- One Swarovski 4mm XILION bicone in Jet Hematite
- One TierraCast silver kenyan heishi spacer
- One Swarovski 6mm faceted round bead in Crystal
- One spacer
- One Swarovski 4mm XILION bicone in Black Diamond
- One spacer
- One 6mm faceted round
- One spacer
Repeat this pattern six more times and finish the strands with one more Jet Hematite bicone.
4. Attach the open wire ends to a sterling silver open jump ring using another crimp tube. Connect one jump ring to the bar portion of the gunmetal-plated brass cut out circle toggle and the other jump ring to the loop portion of the toggle.
5. Attach the 4mm jump rings from Step 2 to their own finished mini circle link. Then, connect the open end of each link to the single loop on a TierraCast black finish pewter melody link using a second 4mm jump ring.
6. Attach the finished picture frame to a 6mm gunmetal-plated 18 gauge open jump ring and connect the jump ring to the center of the 11-inch long chain. Connect one 4mm jump ring to each Swarovski 10mm XILION mini pear pendant in Jet. Attach three of these pendants to either side of the picture frame on the chain.
7. Connect the remaining mini pear pendant and its jump ring to one end of a mini circle link. Attach one 6mm jump ring to the other end of the link and connect it to the center of the 8-inch long chain. Attach each finished ribbon round pendant setting to the chain on either side of the mini link using a 6mm open jump ring. Move approximately two links away and attach the finished mini circle pendants using 6mm open jump rings. You should now have five dangling pieces on the 8-inch chain with a symmetrical pattern.
8. Connect the ends of the 8-inch chain to the top rings on the melody links and the ends of the 11-inch chain to the bottom rings of the melody links using 6mm jump rings.