Because pearls are so soft and are made from natural elements, they need special care. We will list some helpful hints for ensuring your pearls stay pretty and polished.
- Be sure not to place pearls next to other pieces in a jewelry box, rather keep them in a pouch to prevent scratches.
- Some people's skin is more acidic than that of others', so be aware that if pearl jewelry is worn against skin on a regular basis, it will gradually absorb some of the acid and eat away at the pearl. You can slow down this process by wiping pearls with a soft cloth after each wear.
- Certain chemicals can damage pearls easily, including perfume, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Exposure to heat can cause discoloration in pearls and cause them to crack. Dry air can also damage pearls.
Some precautions when cleaning your pearls are as follows:
- Use jewelry cleaner that is specifically labeled as safe for pearls.
- NEVER use an ultrasonic cleaner or steam clean your pearls.
- Never expose pearls to detergent, bleach, baking soda or ammonia-based cleaners and DO NOT clean them with abrasive material such as a tooth brush or scouring pad.
- If you wear you pearls often, it is best to have them re-strung every year.
Copyright © 1999-2017 Artbeads.com®, a Stores in Motion company. All Rights Reserved.